SOME HISTORICAL INFORMATION ABOUT PHILPSTOUN

Philpstoun Railway Station

 

Philpstoun station was opened by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Company on 21 February 1842. It was closed on 18 June 1951 by British Railways.

 

The area around Philpstoun, in common with others in West Lothian, was an extremely busy centre for shale mining and petroleum manufacturing for almost a century, and this was reflected in the railways around Philpstoun. The station itself was situated in a deep cutting, and had two platforms. Immediately to the west, a facing junction, with crossovers and a looping facility connected to a set of exchange sidings at Westfield, and these ran into Philpstoun Nos. 1 shale mine.

 

Extensive sidings connected within the facility, and a short branch line ran just west of the shale bings, crossing the canal, and continuing past Easter Pardovan in a southerly direction to serve a shale pit at Ochiltree (just north west of Threemiletown). A tramway ran in the same direction on the eastern flank of the bings. A trailing siding left the main line near Pardovan, this was known as Pardovan siding and originally served a quarry.

 

Further west, a line branched from the main line via a trailing junction and ran adjacent to the mainline for some 500 yards before swinging south west, passing Champfleurie, before swinging south to serve oil works and a shale mine between Bridgend and Wester Ochiltree.

 

The course of these lines can be seen on Sheet 32 (Ordnance Survey Maps One-inch "Third" edition, Scotland, 1903 -1912) on the National Library of Scotland digital library (www.nls.uk/maps/index.html).